People often think of salads as strictly summertime foods, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use your spring produce if you’re craving something a little heartier. Try this recipe for a wilted lettuce salad with your next meal. Wilted lettuce is a common side dish in many southern homes, and its simple appeal is making it a favorite in the northern states as well.
- 1 head of leaf lettuce or an equivalent amount of assorted salad greens, washed and dried
- 6–8 green onions with tops, sliced thin
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp vinegar (red wine or apple cider preferred)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp white sugar
- ½ tsp black pepper
Put it together simply:
- Tear up the greens, and place them in a large bowl with the onions. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet until done. Remove and let cool.
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and pepper to the bacon drippings in the skillet. Cook and stir until the mixture is hot.
- Pour the bacon grease dressing over the greens and onions, and toss.
- Crumble the bacon and sprinkle over the salad before serving.