Strawberries have been in existence since the days of the Pilgrims and today, they are considered one of the most popular berries in the US. They are great as a snack, or an addition to a salad, breakfast oatmeal or smoothie!
Three Reasons to Eat Strawberries
- Strawberries are rich in antioxidants, an excellent source of vitamin C and contain phenolic phtyonutrients which give them their bright red color.
- Strawberries provide powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory protection.
- One cup of fresh strawberries contains only 43 calories.
How to Select & Store Strawberries
- Select: Look for strawberries that are fully ripe – they will have the best flavor and texture, and will also have more nutritional value.
- Store: Fresh ripe strawberries can last up to three days in the refrigerator, but it’s best to consume them quickly after purchase.
- Prepare: Do not rinse strawberries until you are ready to use them.
Different Types of Strawberries:
There are hundreds of varieties of strawberries worldwide and 70 varieties grown in the US. In addition to the strawberries that are farmed, there are also many varieties that grow wild. Most commercially grown strawberries come from California and Florida, and they are available year-round.